Saturday, February 19, 2011

Backspacer Live + Optional version


Backspacer evolved quite a lot during live tours. Studio album was a bit overmixed and the band had to find how to play all these songs live. You may find some significant alterations on many songs listening to the first shows of Backspacer tour or my 2009 US tour compilation. But the biggest improvement is Eddie Vedder. Check how worn was his voice on the studio album and how fresh and clear it's live on the most vocally difficult songs: The End and Just Breathe.
1. Gonna See My Friend
2. Got Some
3. Johnny Guitar
4. The Fixer
5. Just Breathe
6. Amongst The Waves
7. Unthought Known
8. Force Of Nature
9. Improv (Jazz Odyssey - ver. 3)
10. Supersonic
11. Speed Of Sound
12. Santa Cruz
13. The End (with strings)

Updated to ver. 1.02 (2011-02-19): Added Santa Cruz from 2010 Bridge School Benefit 1
Download rar archive
 

There is one problematic song in Backspacer - Speed Of Sound. I really hate it live, especially Boom Gaspar's piano "playing". But I really love the beautiful demo of Speed Of Sound. So I decided to use the very close to demo Eddie Vedder's solo performance. But it produced another problem - I found that solo Speed Of Sound is very similar to The End live! Maybe this is the reason why the band decided to completely remix the original Speed Of Sound for the album.

So I prepared the "optional" Backspacer Live compilation with Speed Of Sound taken from Eddie Vedder's solo tour (usually I take only original Pearl Jam performances). Also I had to take another performance of Supersonic (with similar early raw guitar sound) for the best fit. And now this is you to decide which compilation is better. Also I need your opinion on Jazz Odyssey in Backspacer Live.
Optional Backspacer Live:
Download rar archive

3 comments:

  1. There's a fantastic version of Speed of Sound from Ed's solo show in Hawaii in 2009. You should check it out. He really sounds like Ed from the past. No joke. http://spreadingthejam.blogspot.com/2009/08/2009-07-02-honolulu-hi.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I know about it! But initially I wanted to make compilations only from full band shows, so that's why there's no Arc in Riot Act Live. But maybe... If I don't find good version after listening to 2010 tour, I'll check Ed's solo shows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for this ... Backspacer is becoming my favourite ever PJ album, and after much searching this has provided the live satisfaction I've been craving ... such amazing tracks ... THANKS! Geoff

    ReplyDelete